DNN Glimpse

May 21, 2015 at 8:36 PM
My local DNN website has been running very slowly for a while, maybe since I added some homemade modules (from Christocs template framework).
In order to get an idea of what was going on I installed dnnGlimps which was fine until I came across a page with one of the custom made modules on it. I got this error:
"Unable to cast object of type 'Glimpse.Ado.AlternateType.GlimpseDbConnection' to type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection"

Then I removed the dnnGlimpse module from the extensions settings but the cast error still occurs for one of the custom made modules, the other is fine.

Any ideas or similar experiences?
Coordinator
May 21, 2015 at 9:18 PM
This is a known issue within Glimpse where it is not directly compatible with Entity Framework. See my workaround from https://dnnglimpse.codeplex.com/workitem/9
May 21, 2015 at 9:54 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I tried to delete the glimpse dll file. But unfortunately the problem persists.
Both of the custommade modules are as you apparently guessed using entity framework which is why I am a bit puzzled as to the reason for one of them triggering the glimpse sql connection casting error and not the other.
The dnnGlimpse module has been removed from the host extensions page and the dll file removed from the sites bin folder and still dnnGlimpse seems to be somehow active on the site.

Maybe there are some other files to delete or some settings to change.
Coordinator
May 21, 2015 at 9:59 PM
There should be five or so Glimpse DLLs in the bin folder, make sure you've deleted all of them.
May 22, 2015 at 5:38 AM
Yes, you were right - I did not see the other Glimpse dlls the first time I looked in the bin folder but after a restart of the pc they were there. The website is running again and this time somewhat faster as I fixed a couple of things on the way.
Thanks for helping me out